While October might mean foliage and colder weather for others, October is just another month in a Floridian’s year-long summer and there are plenty of things to do in Miami. From the Miami Hurricanes to the Miami Heat, to Halloween, film and food festivals and more, if you’re looking for fun activities this month, we’ve got you covered. These are the October 2018 events in Miami you won’t want to miss!
University of Miami
- Miami Football- October is not complete without a little football madness! Check out the Alumni Association Game Watch Party list for Miami Hurricane away games and don’t miss them at the Hard Rock Stadium early October.
- Canes vs Seminoles (10/6 @ TBD)
- Canes vs Virginia (10/13 @ TBD)
- Canes vs Boston College (10/26 @ 7:30pm)
- Art of Mindfulness Sessions– Every Tuesday, free. Recharge, refocus and reclaim the day with a short introduction to mindfulness followed by a guided mindful sitting.
- Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive– Oct. 3rd, free. LGBTQIA+ activist, writer, performer, and biologist, Julia Serano will be discussing numerous strategies for challenging sexism and marginalization from her recent book. The event begins at 4:30pm at the Shalala Center: South Activities Room.
- Food Day Fair– Oct 24th, free. Enjoy free smoothie, crepes, vegan recipes, learn about healthy eating, urban farming, community gardens, and get involved with Miami-Dade Real Food network. You can find them at the Lower UC from 11am- 2pm.
For more event dates, check out the full Miami University Calendar.
- Miami Heat Preseason- The Heat is on at the American Airlines Arena! Don’t miss the chance to watch DWade in his last preseason with the Miami Heat. Get your single-game tickets here!
- Heat vs Orlando Magic (10/8 @ 7:30pm)
- Heat vs New Orleans Pelicans (10/10 @ 7:30pm)
- Heat vs Atlanta Hawks (10/12 @ 8pm)
- Heat vs Charlotte Hornets (10/20 @ 8pm)
- Heat vs NY Knicks (10/24 @ 7:30pm)
- Heat vs Portland Trail Blazers (10/27 @ 8pm)
- Heat vs Sacramento Kings (10/29 @ 7:30pm)
- Miami Spice Iron Fork– Oct. 4th, $50. Miami New Times’ Iron Fork Culinary Competition and Grand Tasting event is a great way to sample the best of Miami food, with over 50 restaurants participating. Benjamin Goldman from Planta on South Beach and Jorgie Ramos from Barely: An American Rotisserie, will be competing at the Grand Tasting. The event takes place from 6-10pm at the Hyatt Regency Miami and James L. Knight Center. Get your tickets here!
- House of Horrors– Oct. 5th– Nov. 4th, $15- $30. South Florida’s Largest Halloween Haunt Experience will be open to the public every day during the entire month of October. Carnival hours are from 6-11pm while Haunted Houses are open from 7-10:45. The event includes areas like Freak Emporium and Gates of Phobia, as well as plenty of carnival rides and a Phatasma Music Festival featuring Luis Fonsi, Dillon Francis, and DJ Flosstradamus.
- Italian Film Festival– Oct. 5th-9th, $12. Feeling a little Italian? Don’t miss this year’s film festival at Regal Cinema 18 on Lincoln Road. Check out the calendar for more information on what’s playing when.
- Columbus Day Regatta– Oct 6th-7th, free. Make the most out of Columbus Day Weekend by celebrating at this massive boating party at Biscayne Bay. The races, commemorating the arrival of Christopher Columbus to the Americas, take place over Saturday and Sunday. Learn more about the event here!
- Kevin Hart Irresponsible Tour– Oct. 13th, $48+. The comedy superstar and Night School actor and creator, Kevin Hart, will be delighting Miami audiences with his undeniably funny act. Don’t miss the chance to see him live at the American Airlines Arena.
Which of these things to do in Miami in October 2018 are you most interested in? Let us know which in the comments!